Monday, December 14, 2015

Ask Me What To Answer, Ask Me What I Want To Run

Title says it all, doesn't it?

Before I get on with writing this week's post, if anyone would like me to cover a topic just leave me a comment here or on Facebook. I'm always interested in covering gaming topics. If it's something I feel I can't answer, I'll tell you, but I will most certainly try!

So this week is Star Wars. STAH WAHS. I am CRAZY excited for it, even though there is the chance...

...the very small/not small chance...

...that it will suck.

Hey! Put that blaster down! I'm just being honest, here. I've been hurt before, and I'm always risky whenever a new movie comes out. The Green Lantern movie was pretty bad, and Star Trek: Into the Dankness wasns't that great. But I'm always willing to take a chance on movies. As the Marvel movies have shown me over the years, even concepts like Ant-Man can turn out to be amazing. And I've been excited for over a year with pictures of Broadsabers, X-Wing fights, and the return of the Falcon. So it could be good!

Sometime in the next year, there are a couple of games that I really want to run. I don't know if I'd have time for them, as some require a shit ton of planning and research, and others may prove to just be one-shots. But I want to run these games because these are stories I want to tell, as well as the fact that these are games I own that I really want to play. 

1. Colonial Masquerade, a Vampire: the Masquerade game set during the Revolutionary War. Players take on the roles of vampires caught in the intense conflict behind the scenes as Elders jockey for power amid the conflict that defined the New World. 

I've wanted to do this for over a year, and Fallout 4 has reawakened the urge in me, so I really want to give this a try. There would be additional NPCs in the setting so that players are not just chumming it with the Founding Fathers, but I want the Founding Fathers to be there as well. Players will even be able to influence history, and could possibly draw a different outcome than what actually happened. 

2. The House, a game using the FATE system where players find themselves drawn into a house but are unable to leave. A horror mystery game, where players uncover secrets about their characters during play. Inspired by a game of Betrayal at the House, I want to run a game where players have to find out why they are trapped in a mansion by the side of the road. 

3. The Lost Zone, a Pulsars game testing out new modifications of the new rules. I want to put some mods I've been tinkering with for the game and see how the system can handle the new way of doing the combined merits/flaws system.

4. World of Mt. Dewage. A world of skate samurai in the streets of Neo Tokyo as they fight to uphold the honor of their corporate lords.

Just kidding Ben. ;) Well, only partially. I really want to run a World of Dew game, because I think it would be a blast! I've considered setting it in Rokugan, as I feel it would make for a more investigative and diplomatic game. 

5. Promethean

I don't have a clear idea of what I want to run with Promethean yet, but between Promethean and Beast I really want to try another game of Promethean. I know that 2nd ed. is coming eventually, but I'd like to come up with a chronicle set in the game. Obviously, MORE RESEARCH NEEDED.

6. Star Wars Spec Ops

I have some ideas on what to do with this, but I want to create a spec ops game set in the Star Wars universe. The players will be responsible for planning their missions, and it will be a reacting and adaptable game so that all players, no matter what their roles, can feel like their characters can fit in. Possibly offering bonus XP to those who pick certain roles, but I don't know.

7. Iron Kingdoms Unleashed: "For Chief and Tribe"

I want to create a narrative where players are all major leaders of their tribes, brought together to deal with encroaching humans into their region. I have also tinkered with a system of letting the players pick Strengths that their tribes can offer, as well as having secret Weaknesses that other players or NPCs could exploit when need be. 

I'd add more, but trying to get more free time would be a must for me.

In Other News...

I found my copy of Live's Mental Jewelry album. I love this album, and it really defined my teenage years. Same with Americana and Dookie. I've been listening to a lot of jazz and swing music lately, and it's been good to go back to 90s Alt rock. 


No comments:

Post a Comment